OK, I've had some luck getting it installed, but working is another matter...

I now get:
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/ifsym/ifsym.sty

> > Have a gander at
> > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/74e0c7f
> >14
> > 63c2800/63afac8d94f2a096%2363afac8d94f2a096?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=0&num=3
>
> Thanks - I'll be bookmarking that group...
I had a search through the group and found this:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/3a3cf8a882c381f0/f95bb70317f65139?q=install+font&rnum=3#f95bb70317f65139

I followed the instructions on the URL in the above post to:
http://www.tug.org/pipermail/tugindia/2001-August/000056.html

which were similar to the instructions in the .ps file you described. I ran
texhash on a simple Tex file, and got an error:
kpathsea: Running mktexmf ifgeo10
! I can't find file `ifgeo10'.
<*> ...=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ifgeo10

so I ran:
mktexmf ifsysm

This appeared to generate a metafont file, which one placed in the texmf tree
(and after another texhash) appeared to sort all the LaTex errors. I then
included the package in a Lyx file preamble( \usepackage[geometry]{ifsym}),
and \FilledTriangleUp in ERT and again this ran fine.

Unfortunately, the output was not as I'd hope. Instead of getting a triangle,
I have an 'a' in the DVI, and nothing in pdf. This is the same processing
through LyX or LaTeX on the command line.

Is this a similar problem to the one you described before?
>Metafont choked trying to generate the
>necessary fonts.  It seems to think there is a syntax error in either
>ifgeo10.mf or (more likely) ifgeo.gen, which the former includes.

Thanks for all the help. I've learnt a lot about installing a package now, but
it would be nice if we could get it to work. Are there any more guru tips to
get this going please?

Dave