----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: Symbols for a figure key - adding a new font

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Wolfson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 1:59 AM

On Monday 31 October 2005 21:33, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
David Wolfson wrote:
>>Unfortunately, the output was not as I'd hope. Instead of getting a
>>triangle, I have an 'a' in the DVI,

LaTeX writes out a DVI file which contains a command to load the ifgeo10
font.  When your DVI viewer (xdvi) tries to load the document, it
discovers that the ifgeo10 font does not (yet) exist in your font
directories, so it tries to run mktexpk to generate the specific font
files.

This is the conclusion I was coming to last night.
You might want to ask on comp.text.tex whether anyone there can figure
out why metafont is failing.

Good idea - I've just done this here:
> I'll let you know if I have a breakthrough,

Dave

I did a search on Google and found this pattern.

texmf-dist/fonts/source/public/ifsym/ifclk.gen
texmf-dist/fonts/source/public/ifsym/ifclk10.mf
texmf-dist/fonts/source/public/ifsym/ifclkb10.mf
texmf-dist/fonts/source/public/ifsym/ifgeo.gen
texmf-dist/fonts/source/public/ifsym/ifgeo10.mf
texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/ifsym/ifgeo10.tfm
texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/ifsym/ifgeob10.tfm
texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/ifsym/ifgeobn10.tfm
etc.

So on my linux distro texmf was under
/usr/share/texmf
so I copied ifsym.zip to the respective /public
directories and unzipped ifsym.zip. This will
create the ifsym directory if it doesn't exist
and put all the contents of ifsym.zip into it.

Then from the ./.../ifsym directory I ran
texconfig
which opens a menu window
and I chose REHASH
and now it seems to work to display the correct geom
symbols, "xdvi *.dvi" from any directory I tested. Only
saw one .tfm font so far, that matched with ifgeo10.tfm

Regards,
Stephen