William F. Adams wrote:
>> I think we'd all like to see improved core functionality in future
>> releases. The last three or four years have seen increased
>> prettiness and stability and *much* nicer code but little real
>> increase in what LyX can actually do. Now that we have something
>> that's at least reasonably modern looking, let's turn the thing
>> into the world beater we always hoped it would be.

> While I sympathize here, doing a Cocoa / GNUstep front-end really
> provides a lot of nice capabilities ``for free''

You have a strange definition of ``for free'', William. There are 295
files in the Qt frontend totalling some 27,000 lines of code. And
that's neglecting the .ui files that define the dialog structure.

For those interested in such stats, the whole LyX source tree
(neglecting non-Qt frontend code) comprises 970 files and 170,000
lines of code. The thing is *big* and doesn't need to get any bigger.

> In particular, it'd jump-start native UTF-8 support.

<shrug>
Most modern toolkits have unicode support. So what? The Qt frontend
has native unicode support and works today.
</shrug>

Swiching the LyX internals over to unicode is the "big plan" for a 1.5
release. The fun will come in getting unicode to fit seemlessly with
LaTeX. You're something of a LaTeX expert, no? I'm sure you could
point out some of the problems. (To the lyx-devel list please.)

Regards,
Angus