John Kane wrote:

.  To verify your MinSYS
installation, you can open a DOS window and type 'sh' at the command prompt. This should start a shell and give you a prompt that looks like 'sh-2.04$' (though possibly yours will have a higher version number). If it does, type 'exit' to get out of the shell.

Works fine

Assuming sh works, you might try running the
configure script in the DOS window. Change to the directory C:\Program Files\LyX\Resources\lyx, verify that a file named 'configure' is there, and then execute 'sh configure'. That runs the configuration script.

Does not work The file is there, all 43K of it, but “sh configure”
simply gives me an error message
'sh' is not recognized as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch file.

Ok, when you ran the first test (that worked correctly), were you in the msys\1.0\bin directory? If so, then the combination of that working and the attempt to run the configure script not working would suggest that the MinSYS bin directory is not on your command path. I thought, from your previous post, that it was, but just to double check, what do you get if you type 'path' at a command prompt?

As an update, I deleted, uninstalled, (and bleached
and scrubbed) everything again this morning and
reinstalled everything with LyX at c:\LyX  . I am
still getting the error message that the textclass
“XX” is not found but I now at least can see them in
the TeX Information list.

You're seeing them in LyX via View->TeX Information? That's inconsistent with the textclass not found messages (assuming that textclass XX is in the TeX Information list).

I am unable to print. I did manage to export an ASCII
file!!.

That's a positive step, but since ASCII export does not involve LaTeX, it's a small positive step.

I finally managed to download GSview and it is now
refusing to install and giving me the error message: Failed to add PS file association

That's likely to be a consequence of not installing rather than an indication of the root cause. Does it give any indication prior to that of why it's not installing? (On a side note, have you considered sacrificing a small furry animal to the gods of computing before installing things? Works for me.)

Paul