the ERT _hack_ does seem to work much better than adding self disappearing
spaces as i had been doing.

another useful thing would be to add something (ex '*' or '(modified)') to
the Documents menu items to show which documents have changed. this would be
useful even if the updating 'bug' is fixed.

          mamato