----- Original Message ----- From: "Uwe Stöhr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Stephen Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "LyX-Users" <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 5:56 AM
Subject: Re: [announce] fifth release of the LyXWinInstaller

Stephen Harris wrote:

There is a new Aspell 6.0 available for Windows

Where? I found only
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/w32/
and
http://aspell.net/win32/

http://aspell.net/
* Latest Version: GNU Aspell 0.60.4 (Released October, 2005)

I belong to the Aspell mailing list and heard about .60 awhile ago.
There was a reference to contacting someone for a .exe copy rather
than general repository availability. So I downloaded it and built
with Win XP and Cygwin. Also the dictionary, which addresses
some of Bo's concerns in the README, is partially quoted below.

My remark was informational, not intended to recommend including
it for use in your full package, and directed towards different .exe and
dict versions. I compiled the dictionary first. Aspell .64 worked from
the command line, but I am not sure it works from LyX. I did the full
install of .51 (without problems) except that it did not recognize
the .64 version located in C:\Aspell and said I needed Aspell. So it
installed Aspell .053 I suppose and prompted me for a dictionary
download. Spellchecking works in LyX but I tend to think it is .053

From the README:
"All data, by default, is now included in `LIBDIR/aspell-0.60' so
that multiple versions of Aspell can more peacefully coexist.  This
included both the dictionaries and the language data files which were
stored in `SHAREDIR/aspell' before Aspell 0.60.

  The format of the character data files has changed.  The new
character data files are installed with Aspell so you should not have
to worry about it unless you made a custom one.

  The dictionary option `strip-accents' has been removed.  For this
reason the old English dictionary (up to 0.51) will no longer work.  A
new English dictionary is now available which avoids using this option.
In addition the `ignore-accents' option is currently unimplemented."

Regards,
Stephen