Stephen Harris wrote:

> [...]

Formally, that's the PATH environment variable. To be honest, I don't think
that I check the contents of this variable when generating the contents of
\path_prefix. Clearly I should have ;-)

Within LyX we prepend the contents of \path_prefix to the global PATH,
creating an augmented PATH for this process and all of its children
(spawned processes).

>> Why not simply get an archive (zip, tar, whatever) of the 1.3.7pre5 LyX
>> directory and unpack it over a 1.3.6 installation? Thereafter, one could
>> simply edit the configure script to adjust \path_prefix, run "sh
>> configure"
>> and be done.

> Well, maybe that would work, I wonder what Angus thinks? Since
> I am only a computer technician rather than a developer, I can't
> fully grasp all the ramifications of this approach; I always test,
> test...

<shrug>
That's essentially what the Installer does. There's no magic to it.
</shrug>

So, yes, it'll work.

What I propose to do is to add some text to the final screen of the
Installer:

We know that sometimes this Installer fails to run the command
   sh configure
from the
   C:/Program Files/LyX/Resources/lyx
(I'll tune this automatically ;-)
directory. As a result various data files used by LyX are not generated and
lyx.exe will fail to run successfully.

If you find that the files lyxrc.defaults and textclass.lst in the above
directory do not exist or have zero size, then you should open up an MSYS
or CMD terminal and run the above command from the above directory.

One final note: you'll find a '\path_prefix' entry in lyxrc.defaults. It's
contents are prepended to the PATH environment variable visible to lyx.exe
and it's used to find the various binaries used by LyX (sh.exe,
gswinc.exe, python.exe, etc). It's been reported that sometimes the
Installer generates multiple redundant instances of individual entries in
'\path_prefix'. Feel free to edit manually.

Feel free to act as editor ;-)
--
Angus