I'm caught in an infinite loop here. Kevin was very helpful in suggesting
that I use \framebox rather than \makebox; that gives me a rectangular, empty
box (as long as there's no text to frame). Now I have three issues that I've
not been able to resolve. I hope someone here can help me.

  1.) The \multido{} loop in lines 69-71 does not produce the desired
results. I want each framebox in line 71 to be 3mm wide, but if I reduce the
width from 7mm, the lines are combined; that is, the even numbered line is
next to the odd nunber line. I need a total text width of 72mm, so there
should be room for 10 3mm boxes with a bit of space between each one. When I
try adding a \hspace{} in there it gets all messed up.

  2.) I'd like the \framebox{} to be horizontally aligned with the black
strobe box along the left margin. In ghostview it appears a bit lower.

  3.) I need to align the boxes above the Preference block with a column in
that block. I've not found how to specify a specific location along the width
of a line for the placement of the \framebox{}.

  My reading in the Multido doc, TLC2, Guide to LaTeX 4th ed, and The LaTeX
Graphics Companion has not let me find the answer.

TIA,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"