Rich Shepard wrote:

  I wondered about using a table. It may well be faster and easier than
re-doing the document with PSTricks. And I just started re-reading the
PSTricks manual, too.

Rich,
this depends strongly on your problem. But you should always
first trying to realize it with a tabular. It is a powerful
environment, but needs some time to understand.

  Now that I've briefly looked at your modifications I see how much more
efficiently the file is written than what I had originally. In addition to
Appendix D of "Guide to LaTeX", what do you recommend I read to learn more
about doing complex documents with LaTeX? Or, is it more a matter of doing it
more frequently?

there are some general facts:

- for the layout use _always_ package geometry, which is also
  the default by LyX
- every layout, which depends on a grid, should be possible
  with a tabular or array

learning by doing is the best way and doing it frequently
makes it easier.

Herbert