----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul A. Rubin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 8:56 AM
Subject: Re: Business letter (on letterhead) template for LyX

Kevin Pfeiffer wrote:
Paul A. Rubin writes:

1. (This is the only major issue.)  Our letterhead includes logos on
both the left side of the paper and along the top.  Dealing with the
top is not a problem, but for the life of me I cannot find a way in
komascript to make the left margin two inches on the first page
(which will be letterhead) and one inch on every other page (plain
bond).

The answer that I got is that this is not easily possible, "because the size of the print area can only be changed between pages, i.e. when a \newpage command can be used. That is because there is no possibility to recalculate an already split paragraph, and exactly that would be necessary when the print area on the next page is supposed to change." If I understand that correctly, TeX splits a paragraph into lines before it begins to print it. On the next page, these lines may then be too short or too long. (Or so I interpreted this -- corrections welcome.)

Why not use the same wide margin on all pages (no one was ever punished for using too much white space -- well, unless maybe it was for a dissertation)? Or do as my wife does at her Uni -- she uses letterhead that has only the logo pre-printed and prints the "right margin letterhead stuff" herself (its all in her template).

Sorry I couldn't help more. (The other two items I think you can find in the manual.)

-Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for all the research on this! I'll see if I can adapt your \ifthenelse hack to the komascript letter class. At least its comforting to know this is not trivial (and I'm not missing something obvious).

/Paul

I've read about widows and orphans:
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/Latex/OrphanSpaceControl/Latex11.001.html

"An orphan is the first line of a paragraph on the last line of a page.
The last line of the paragraph on a new page is a widow.

To get rid of an orphan, precede the paragraph with \clearpage.

To get rid of a widow is harder. If the paragraph is long, try following
the last word with \looseness=-1. If not, run the page a little shorter
with \enlargethispage{-\baselineskip}. In fact you can run the page longer
too, and make a two-line widow which some publishers will accept.

To do it automatically is harder still because a machine cannot make
sensible aesthetic judgments. You can fiddle with the penalties between
paragraphs, but usually pagebreaks are best done manually on the few
occasions when they are needed."

http://www.math.upenn.edu/tex_docs/latex/koma-script/scrguien.pdf

----------------------
| enlargefirstpage |
----------------------
"As described later in this chapter, the first page of a letter always uses a
different page layout. The scrlttr2 class provides a mechanism to calculate
height and vertical alignment of head and foot of the first page independently of the following pages. If, as a result, the foot of the first page would reach
into the text area, this text area would automatically be made smaller using
the \enlargethispage macro. On the other hand, if the text area should become larger, supposed the foot on the first page allows that, you could use this option. At best, some more text would fit on the first page. See also the description of pseudo length firstfootvpos at section 6.4.2. This option can take the standard values for simple switches, as listed in Table 6.1. Default is false."

SH: I surmised that if the first page of a letter always used a different
page layout, that there would be a procedure to redefine the page layout
for subsequent pages. I've done things like change the size of type from
12 to 11 or vice versa, increase the marigins by .25 on both sides and
increase or decrease the bottom margin which is not noticeable if the
letter is only two pages and doesn't continue to the bottom of the page.

Sometimes a long paragraph could be reworded and broken up into two paragraphs, and maybe \clearpage would work. Or the paragraph can be
padded by a sentence or stated a bit more concisely and shortened.
Maybe a bit of tinkering will get the first page to end with a paragraph
so that new margins can be defined for the rest of the letter, if I kenned
the objection. Of course Paul you are clever and maybe you have thought
of these suggestions and they plumb won't work.

Regards,
Stephen