John Pye wrote:

> The perl module cited as prereq doesn't exist on CPAN. Not that I could
> find with search.

from the first google hit for perlmif:
http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/EHOOD/

> Nope. Converting from frame to latex is a flakey process. No point going
> via latex here.

You will need that at least for the formulas, since LyX stores formulas in
LaTeX syntax.

> That might be interesting. Is there no XML-based Lyx file format yet?

This is planned, and Lars Gullik Bjønnes did some experiments with it, but
nothing more.

> What does lyx2lyx do, I can't see any documentation on the net.

It translates old .lyx files to the current format. The other way round does
also work, but only for 1.4 -> 1.3 conversions. The LyX class I already
mentioned has also limited capabilities for creating .lyx files from
scratch.

> Come to that, is there a lyx file format reference somewhere?

AFAIK only in the sources :-(

> My best best really does seem to be to write an XSLT to convert from
> either mif2xml output (or the direct Framemaker XML-export output) to a
> *structured file format* that Lyx can read reliably. I tried to write
> out XML directly but it seemed really hard to resolve the whitespace
> problems.

It might also be possible to use LyX itself to write the file and do the
conversion via commands sent to the lyxpipe. See
http://wiki.lyx.org/Tools/PyClient

Georg