Hello,

I am using LyX on a Debian-powered x86 machine.

I switched back to version 1.3.5 since editing in math mode (i.e., inside the magenta-coloured boxes created with Ctrl+M or Ctrl+Shift+M) is way better there than in version 1.4.0!

Here are a few frustrating "bad behaviours" that I found in math mode in 1.4.0. (the '$' signs delimit what has to be typed in math mode)

1. (major bug) Type a symbol with both an subscript and a superscript (such as $a_{b}^{c}). If you erase the superscript {c}, then the subscript {b} disappears too.

2. Suppose you typed $a+b^{c}$ and you want to erase $b^{c}$. In 1.3.5, you just place the cursor between + and 'a', push the "del" once, and it's gone. In 1.4.0, you have to press "del" twice, since the first press only *selects* b^{c}... What is the point of having to press twice instead of once? In 1.3.5, pressing "del" once is enough. If you by mistake delete too much, you can just use Ctrl+Z to undo. I find this approach more practical.

3. Type $ab^{c}$ and try to select just $b^{c}$ by placing the mouse between $a$ and $b$, clicking and dragging to the right. It does not work. You have to click when the mouse is *just on* the $b$, and then drag to the right. In 1.3.5, both ways worked. For click and drag to the left, 1.4.0 has a similar issue (it is even impossible to place the cursor just on the right of $b^{c}$ by clicking between $b^{c}$ and the right edge of the math-mode box).

4. Create a eqnarray or AMS align environment. In 1.3.5, you can use the Tab key to jump from an input field to the next one, in 1.4.0 it does not work.

5. (minor issue compared to the previous ones) After creating a math-macro by typing "M-x math-macro xyz", the cursor is outside of the macro definition field, and you have to move it inside before you can start editing the macro. In 1.3.5, the cursor is just where you need it: inside the macro definition field.

I wonder what the reasons for such un-optimizations are... I hope that I am not the only one who finds 1.3.5 better.

Regards

Davide