I had a bit more of a rummage around and I managed to export the relevant latex code for my document:

--- begin quote ---
\begin{floatingfigure}[r]{6cm}%
\includegraphics[width=0.4\columnwidth]{\string"Figures/Fluid mosaic model\string".jpg}

\caption{The fluid mosaic model of cell membranes}\end{floatingfigure}%
--- end quote ---

compared to the latex code for the "extended features" wrapped float

--- begin quote ---
\begin{floatingfigure}[r]{6cm}%
\includegraphics[width=0.4\columnwidth]{mobius}

\caption{This is a wrapped figure, and this is the brilliant caption that
describes it}\end{floatingfigure}%
--- end quote ---

The only difference appears to be the {\string"Figures/Fluid mosaic model\string".jpg} part. I tried numerous other methods, involving ERT, making the figure eps, and placing it in the same directory as the lyx file. When I used the last two methods together, the latex code was identical to the example, but still nothing in the export!!! Quite frustrating!

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Lee.