David Balazic wrote:
Hi!

I downloaded LyX 1.3.7 for Windows.

After installing, when run for the first time as a normal user
(not member of the group Administrators) I got several error dialogs
about installing some packages, that I could only cancel. There were
about a dozen of then shown one after another. See the attached screenshot
named lyx_1_first_start.PNG.

When LyX is installed, the configuration script is run to set up a default (system-wide) configuration. The first time you run LyX as a user, the configuration script is run again to set up your personal configuration. Each time the script runs, it looks for a large number of LaTeX classes. You appear to be using MiKTeX with the default setting for missing classes, so every time MiKTeX is asked for a class or style it does not have, it will pop up a message asking if you want to install the package (and, if so, from what source). I've seen (rarely) the kind of message in your first PNG file, where the package name is blank, although I'm not sure what causes it. In any case, I don't think you need to worry. As long as you (or your system administrator) installs any LaTeX packages you need, this should not be a problem. Of course, every time you reconfigure LyX, MiKTeX will bombard you with these dialogs, but you can just click "Don't Install" (or press D) for each.

After that, when trying to export a document into ASCII or PDF, it fails.
See pictures lyx_2_export_ASCII.PNG and lyx_3_export_PDF.PNG.

When you export a document, LyX generates a file of the desired format in the temp directory and then moves it to the directory containing the LyX file. Usually this would be a directory you own, but in the snapshots you appear to be trying to export the Intro.lyx help document. Since that document lives in a subdirectory of the LyX installation directory, LyX tries to put the exported files there, but you probably do not have write permissions to that directory. Again, this should not be a problem for you in general, since your own documents will necessarily live in a directory where you do have write permissions.

To confirm this, try the following. Use Help->Introduction to bring up the document, then File->Save As to save it in your home directory. Then try exporting.

/Paul