Rich Shepard wrote:
On Sat, 6 May 2006, John B. Egger wrote:

My Linux installation is LyX 1.3.4.

John,

Perhaps you meant that your LyX version is 1.3.4. That's very old. Get the
1.4.1 version; there may well be a ready-to-install version for your flavor
of linux distribution.

Here's my rank-beginner's question: How do I get the text I'm typing to
show spaces and punctuation marks?

  If you press the space bar you should see spaces between words. If you
press the punctuation key (period, comma, question mark, semi-colon, etc.)
you should see that, too.

I'm following the Tutorial, and only seeing Whynospacesinmytestfile?

  What do you have set in preferences for the display font?

Rich

Thanks, Rich... yes, it's my LyX that is 1.3.4. I was using the default fonts (Times, Helvetica, and Courier; the first two displayed as italicized in Preferences). Not only my new tutorial file, but the Introduction, Tutorial, and Users Guide also appeared in this italicized font with symbols and Greek letters for punctuation and no spaces between words. After your question I changed the Roman font to New Century Schoolbook, and the display was perfect. The space bar produces visible spaces, and punctuation marks are displayed properly instead of as Greek letters. Maybe there's a problem with my Times font.

I downloaded 1.4.1 and extracted the tar.gz but the rest of the install process looks a bit complicated.

Anyway, thanks for suggesting the font. That problem seems solved!

--
--John
Registered Linux User #291592