Well, I am no pro at this, but it appears that ImageMagick was in fact installed on my machine, because deleting the preferences file (as per Bennett Helm's suggestion) fixed the problem. That was all I had to do.

My guess is that the installer script somehow messed up in my case when it converted my 1.3.7 preferences/settings to 1.4.1. I had a couple of problems after conversion, including Instant Preview and this. My advice to anyone with the same setup (Mac OS 10.4.6, LyX 1.3 to 1.4 upgrade) is to reconfigure LyX and to delete the preferences file and reset preferences manually after upgrading. It won't hurt and it might fix a few things.

Maria