On May 8, 2006, at 5:38 PM, Maria Gouskova wrote:

I cannot say that I understand what LyX does with the preferences file exactly, because the installer appears to copy the preferences on its own during the installation process. But it isn't clear which preferences file it copies. After poking around my hard drive, I realized that I now have at least *three* LyX preferences files: one in Library/Application Support/LyX (original 1.3.7 file), one in /Library/Application Support/LyX-1.4 (contents identical to the first one, from what I can see), and in Applications/LyX.app/Contents/Resources (different contents). The directory LyX-1.4 was installed by LyX 1.4.1, and the directory LyX (inside Lib/App Support) is leftover from LyX 1.3.7, apparently unchanged by the upgrade.

Everything righted itself after I deleted the second file, Library/ Application Support/LyX-1.4.

I am attaching all three files for your perusal.

Maria
<preferences_1_4_1>
<preferences_inside_lyx>
<preferences1_3_7>

Thanks.

On the Mac, preference files within LyX.app are the default preferences; when you first change any preference setting, LyX creates a new preferences file in the User's directory using the defaults as a template. LyX-1.3.5+ used ~/Library/Application Support/ LyX for the User's directory; LyX-1.4.x uses ~/Library/Application Support/LyX-1.4 for the User's directory. (The change in location here is designed so that users can continue to use 1.3.x and 1.4.x simultaneously, if they so desire. Various settings or files in the User's directory are incompatible between the two versions.) The 1.4.x installer copies your 1.3.x directory to the new location and modifies some settings to reflect that change. However, the installer should not touch format/converter settings, and so the difficulty you've had in upgrading should not happen.

Nonetheless, something went wrong. Unfortunately, the preferences files you sent don't reveal to me what the problem was. And I'm out of ideas for what else might have caused the problem.

Bennett