Fine, and I have solved the problem with the interface characters ...

Set OUTPUT_CHARSET to iso8859-1 in environment.plist and western
european spechial chars are ok. I hope that there are no collisions
with other apps taht use utf8 ... we'll see.
Btw, there is a very usefull prefpane for OSX to set the environment variables:
http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCEnvironment/
regards, G.

p.s.: In real life my name is Kö but thinking of international charset
hazards and the possibility that 50% of my name is unreadable I tend
to use the oe synonym.