Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
Springer publisher wants a certain style for references. I tried to make one by using latex makebst
It produced springer.dbj. springer .bst and springer.log  in my home.

Now I am confused how to proceed. The existing bst files are spread in /usr/local/texlive/..
/usr/share/texmf/..
/usr/Tex/texmf-dist/bibtex/..

Where should I transfer the produced springer.dbj. springer .bst and springer.log?

There's usually a localtexmf directory somewhere. I'm not a TeXLive user, but I suspect it creates an environment variable showing the location of localtexmf. My preference is to create a bibtex directory under localtexmf, then create subdirectories for each style I create (e.g., .../localtexmf/bibtex/springer). I don't know if the log file is worth keeping, but the other two are. Once you've placed them there, run texhash to update the TeX file database, and then I think you'll need to reconfigure LyX so that it sees the .bst file.

Sofar I used in the preamble
\usepackage[authoryear,comma]{natbib}
and
\bibpunct{}{}{}{a}{}{}

What is the procedure to get the new .bst working? \usepackage{springer}
after texhash?

After reconfiguring LyX, you should be able to select the .bst file from the drop down list of choices. Unless you are using a Springer style file, there is no need for \usepackage{springer}.

\bibpunct determines the way the references are cited in the text?

Yes.

/Paul