Ed Gatzke wrote:

I have tried cmd.exe on about 6 xp machines, Alt-F4 does nothing on any of them
for cmd.exe.

I finally got around to trying this on my home PC, which runs XP Home rather than XP Pro. Under XP Home, alt-F4 did *not* kill cmd.exe. On my laptop (XP Pro), it does. I haven't had a chance to try the XP Pro machine in my office (as I'm assiduously avoiding

Some of the machines I tried to kill cmd.exe on were NOT XP home ( My new work desktop and my wifes work laptop).

I'm not sure what goes on in that fleeting shell, but according to the task manager I use, when you run lyx.exe directly it is not running in a shell. LyX does, however, make extensive use of shell scripts (for converting graphics, running the configuration script, etc.), so it may be running some quick script at that point.

There is a python.exe file in the same directory as the lyx.exe executable. Python opens what looks like a cmd.exe window that you can't close with Alt-F4 either. I wonder if lyx.exe is somehow running in a python shell?

No, I think Ed mentioned he used Cygwin. Luckily, Enrico tutored me
(everything beautiful belongs to Enrico and the ugly is all mine).

I have tried starting LyX all different ways, from the cygwin shell, from the desktop icon, from the bat file in Program Files / lyx, from the exe file in Program Files / LyX. None of those close with Alt-F4, but I will try the bat file hacks below.

So I sort of fixed it. I'll put the lyx11.bat text at the end. I
used some other file as a basis (startxwin.bat) and mostly just
tacked on "run c:\cygwin\usr\local\bin\lyx-x11.exe: at the end.
I start it with a desktop icon:
target     C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\LyX11.bat
start in   C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin

Thanks for all your help trying to sort this out.

I think if you have X11 and xterm working this will work.
The problem can be duplicated here using the black/bash shell.
The AutoHotkeys will work on cmd.exe and some windows apps but
if LyX is started from Cygwin closing it still requires alt-f4
(with a modified startxwin.bat) on my system. It seems odd.

Regards,
Stephen