On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 04:33:38PM +0200, Julio Rojas wrote:
> The real problem is that I need a cell to use two rows. I know how to join
> to cells horizontally, but it doesn't seem there's a way to join two cell
> vertically.

This isn't supported, but there are some workarounds:

* Table cells can have multiple lines in them, if it is
  fixed-width column.  This way, you can pretend to have
  one cell spanning two rows while the "two rows" really
  is one row where all the other cells are two-liners.
  Obviously, this works only if you don't need a
  separating line between those two fake rows.

* Table cells can contain almost anything, including such things
  as minipages or embedded tables.  This is often useable
  for tweaking the layout.  You still have a hard time if you need
  lines though.

* Make the oddball table in xfig, as an external inset.
  Xfig is a vector drawing program in which you can draw
  any table layout with lines and everything.  Xfig is
  nice in that in can be set to use "latex fonts" so
  the table that really is a figure in disguise won't
  stand out as such.  Take care to use the same line width
  as LyX tables uses too.  I think it is 0.4 pt.

* There are latex packages for this, which LyX doesn't support
  directly.  Use them and write the entire table in ERT if need be.
  To avoid rewriting the entire table, export to latex and
  cut&paste from that latex file into your ERT. Then modify
  with whatever latex commands it takes to join cells over several
  rows.

Helge Hafting