> In preparation for the class, I plan to post a separate
> questionnaire to the lyx-users and lyx-devel lists.
> I welcome any comments about this.  Again, my intent is to
> have this be a contribution to the lyx project.

I am currently working with a colleague on a book chapter using lyx, me on
linux platform, he on microsoft. There are some problems on his side (e.g.
exporting to pdf) with which I canĀ“t help him.

I think, it would be very helpful in such and similar cases to have a linux
livesystem on CD which contains all the necessary programs needed for writing
documents with lyx such as tex stuff, spellchecker, vector and pixel oriented
graphics (xfig, PyX, PStricks..), chemical formulas, bibtex related things
such as JabRef or Pybliographer, presentations (beamer..). There is a nice
book by Rainer Hattenhauer (2005), Linux-Livesysteme (published by Galileo
Computing) - alas in German (perhaps translated in the meantime?) which gives
detailed instructions and could serve as a basis.

One could just insert this CD in the computer, start the system, work with it,
save the produced documents on the computer, and thats it. I think this would
be a nice project also for your students ...

Wolfgang