On 9/14/06, Bernhard Roider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > There is something that may be relevant: it is possible to convert
>> > from SVG to Xfig format with pstoedit. With this approach, we can then
>> > edit the Xfig picture and edit the text with the special flag on,
>> > getting at last the text of the picture written with the default LaTeX
>> > font of the document.
>> >
>> I've tried to draw with xfig two or three times, and in my oppinion the
>> user interface is realy awful! inkscape has a really feature rich
>> interface and  i can draw images there very quickly. inkscape runs on
>> windows and unix systems - what about xfig? moreover, i do not like to
>> add plain LaTeX to my images (which is done with those special flags if
>> i got that right). why not support psfrag in lyx? as i wrote in the tips
>> wiki, i use it now with ERTs. The big advantage would be, that i can
>> write everything i want to typeset with LaTeX into the picture can be
>> written with LyX.
>
> I share your opinion regarding Xfig. However, I think that the best
> way to insert SVG pictures in LyX is through Xfig together with
> pstoedit. You will not really need to edit your Xfig picture with
> Xfig, as a simple text editor is able to change (almost at once) all
> needed special flags. Doing so, there is no need for using psfrag.
> However, if you feel comfortable with your way, just use it, as I am
> not campaigning for using my solution!
as i never tried your way i cannot really decide whats better. is it
possible to typeset e.g. formulas within LyX and place them in the
images that way?

No, but you can open your Xfig file with a text editor, and then you
just replace, e.g., 'x' with '$x^2$' to get a math mode squared x.
Alternatively, you can insert '$x^2$' directly in Inkscape, when you
are drawing your picture. That is simple, I think.

Paul