-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:04:26 +0200
Von: Sven Schreiber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
An: Helge Hafting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Betreff: Re: lyx 1.4.2 on ubuntu

> Helge Hafting schrieb:
>
> >> Then I downloaded the 1.4.1 binaries in the ubuntu/dapper dir, but I
> had
> >> no luck with them. They either gave me 1.3.7 or failed due to
> dependency
> >> errors.
> >>
> > A 1.4.1 binary should not give you 1.3.7? The dependencies could not be
> > resolved by installing
> > packages?
>
> I first tried the "all" meta package, and was also surprised that that
> led to 1.3.7 being installed. The other two debs (common and qt) then
> caused conflicts with "an already installed lyx-qt" or something
> similar, although I had removed that before (at least I thought I did,
> and synaptic didn't show me anything like that was left). Maybe I should
> have done it differently, but in that case those packages could use some
>  brief step-through install guide.
>
> Anyway I just wanted to let people know the packages didn't work for me,
>  on the chance that there's something wrong with them.
>

> > As others have pointed out, the locale you use must exist on the system.
> > (Except for C).  On debian, which is similar to ubunt, we use:
> > dpkg-reconfigure locales
> > This gets you a list of possible locales.  Enable those you need.
>
> Yep thanks I will do that.
>
> -sven

It is actually quite easy to generate locales on ubuntu though it is different
from debian because dpkg-reconfigure locales does not work here anymore. The
command is simply:

sudo locale-gen de_DE

and german umlauts will work. With respect to the packages on ftp.lyx.org and
on the wiki it is best to install them with

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

But before, install lyx from the dapper repositories once to have all the
dependencies and thereafter remove the old version completely with

sudo apt-get remove --purge lyx lyx-qt lyx-common

Unfortunately, backports from edgy are not possible at the moment due to
build-dependendency issues.

phil