On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 11:00:31PM -0500, Bennett Helm wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2006, at 9:27 PM, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
>
> > Bennett Helm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >> "open" only works for applications that use the Mac GUI -- not
> >> including X11 apps. So this solution won't work for xdvi. It will
> >> work if an application such as TeXShop has been defined as the
> >> default .dvi viewer (but then "auto" should work in that case as
> >> well).
> >
> > Bennet,
> >
> > in the forthcoming 1.4.4 the autoview feature can be overridden
> > through
> > lyxrc.dist, where an appropriate viewer can be defined. So, maybe the
> > problem of a dvi viewer on Mac has a solution.
>
> But the question is what to set it to. Some people like Mac native
> apps (for which "open" would seem to be the best solution), whereas
> others like xdvi in X11 (requiring something else). As far as I know,
> there's no way of determining this preference automatically unless we
> assume the user will have a Mac native app.

I have never used a Mac (well, I tried it through an emulator on the
Amiga some years ago, when it was still using an MC68040, but I fear
this doesn't count) so I cannot be of help here.

BUT: if you click on a dvi file in the GUI, does it get opened in
some app? If the answer is yes, then there must be a way to get this
info and use it with the autoview feature in LyX, don't you think so?

--
Enrico