On Wednesday 27 December 2006 02:15, Stacia Hartleben wrote:
> Hi, I addressed this in another mail but no one seemed to answer and I
> can't really find any posts about how exactly to use this great new
> feature in 1.5.0. I'd like to use it for my Sanskrit assignment if I
> can to test it out. I've tried it with both Sanskrit text and
> Japanese, and both of them said this once I changed the encoding to
> UTF8:
>
> Package inputenc Error: unicode char \u8: (character) not set up for
> use with LaTeX

Unfortunately the support for utf8 encoding in LaTeX is rather incomplete, and
some packages do not work with utf8 encoded files at all. Therefore it is not
the default encoding for LaTeX output in LyX.

> Umm, kind of funny that it's saying it doesn't know what the unicode
> char is but then goes out and says what it is in the info.

Indeed.

> When I do put cjkjis in the options, it doesn't help, it just has a
> bunch of "undefined control sequence" errors.
>
> Similar thing for Sanskrit - it whines about putting combine into the
> options, but when I do, it just gives me a bunch of "undefined control
> sequence" stuff.

If you want to help with this stuff you could put a simple test document (both
for japanese and for sanskrit) into bugzilla.

> I know that 1.5.0 is in its alpha stages but I hope that the final
> version makes this stuff a little more transparent for the user - I
> wouldn't want to have to hack around with the preamble every time I
> play with a new script.

I hope so too, but the translation to LaTeX is not trivial. The first goal for
1.5.0 was to be able to output everything that 1.4. can output - that goal
has almost been reached (with some minor problems with RTL languages that are
currently discussed, and the CJK stuff is not integrated yet). We will see
whether we will be able to do more in 1.5.0, or whether that comes in a later
1.5.x release.

Georg