This message is really in response to Uwe Stöhr, who has been counseling
troubled Windows users like me who have been unable to
get a working installation of Lyx 1.4.4.  Like many others, I've been
encountering an immediate crash of lyxc.exe upon trying to
launch Lyx.  The newest installer  'lyx-144-2.exe'  failed for me as well as
the previous one.  Following Uwe's suggestion, I tried the installer from

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/lyxwininstall

The small installer I used was 'LyXWin144Small-2-11.exe'

I am happy to report that this actually worked for me on Windows XP (32
bit).  My initial installs failed on two different 32-bit Windoze machines,
but this other installer worked on both of them. There is just one mildly
annoying message I see whenever
I launch a lyx file, and it's related to bibtex.  Maybe this is to be
expected, but I always get a complaint from the command window saying
that lyx couldn't find the bibtex .bib files I specified within the lyx
file.  It's not a crippling error.  I can generate a
PDF view and all the references are there correctly.  Is this message simply
due to the fact that lyx initially looks for .bbl files that aren't there? I
never quite understood this feature of lyx.  I remember the days when a
latex compilation resulted in a .bbl file being created locally (which makes
it easier to collaborate, since you could send the .bbl along with the
document and your co-writer could see the references without needing the
bibtex databases).

One final thing.  My naive hope that the Lyx Installer would also work for
64-bit XP was dashed.  It didn't work.  When I attempted to launch lyx I
would see a brief flash of the command window, which would then disappear,
and no lyx window would appear.

In fact, I seem to have quite a bit more trouble with lyx in a 64-bit
environment.  In 64-bit Fedora Core 6, I'm finding that lyx cannot convert
PDF figures.  I believe I have all the necessary ingredients installed like
ImageMagick, but I get numerous errors such as
'/usr/share/lyx/scripts/convertDefault.py ERROR'.  I could use a bit of help
with this, actually.

Thanks for your help.

Jim