John Pye wrote:

Under Ubuntu, one can use the Keyboard preferences to set up a 'Compose'
key (I chose 'right ALT'). Once that is done, I can open a text editor
(gedit) and get all the accented characters é and ô and ñ etc very
nicely. I can even get the degree symbol using the sequence of keys
(pressed and released in sequence): right-alt  ^  0.  Like so: °

But when I move over to LyX, the accented character come out correctly,
but the degree symbol does not appear. Nothing appears when I use the
same key sequence as above.

I can copy the degree symbol and paste into LyX using Paste External
Selection As Paragraphs, but I cannot generate the character directly in
LyX.

Try running LyX with "lyx -dbg key" and see what debug output you get when you try to insert the degree symbol using your compose key.

When you paste the degree symbol into a document, does it appear correctly in DVI and PDF output?

--
Michael Wojcik