On Mar 12, 2007, at 11:09 AM, Andre Poenitz wrote:

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 06:19:18PM +0100, Gunnar wrote:
We should really set up some kind of fallback mechanism that works
(a) when Lars is not available (which seems to be rather common
lately) and (b) without the help of "Third Parties".
Some thoughts,

It can't be that hard to setup a mirror site called lyx2.org or
something else that is easy to remember if one can't setup a round
robin DNS.

Syncronization with lyx.org and the wiki is another problem that has
to be solved unless the mirrors are more "read-only".

We do not need a hot syncronization. rsync every 10 minutes or so to a
machine on "standby" and making this one accessible as lyx2.org (or
whatever) if and only if lyx.org failes would be completely sufficient.

Andre'

That's definitely a good idea!

I just want to mention one last resort if there is no alternative: the Wayback Machine. It's not up to date in the sense of a real backup, but you can get a lot of the basic LyX information from there if this kind of outage should ever happen again. A somewhat "recent" archived version is for example

http://web.archive.org/web/20050829232106/wiki.lyx.org/

Well, let's hope this won't ever be needed for LyX ...
Jens