On Apr 12, 2007, at 5:35 PM, Jens Noeckel wrote:

On Apr 12, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Paul Smith wrote:

On 4/13/07, Jens Noeckel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > I'm unaware of any smaller sizing. The default document font size
>> > controls
>> > how small tiny is. If you set the default font smaller then tiny
>> would
>> > decrease also.
>>
>> Using TeX in the preamble, you could do any size you want (in text
>> mode). Here is an example LaTeX file that seems to do what is
>> desired:
>>

>> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>> \def\supertiny{ \font\supertinyfont = cmr10 at 4pt \relax
>> \supertinyfont}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>> Hello \tiny Guten Tag \supertiny Hello \normalsize Goodbye
>> \end{document}
>>

>> Obviously, the \def ... goes into the LaTeX Preamble, and the
>> \supertiny command has to be entered as ERT. The size of the
>> supertiny font is 4pt as defined in the Preamble line, and you can
>> make it as small as you want!
>
> Thanks, Jens. In case one works with Mathpazo fonts, one should
> replace cmr10 by what?

I think it would be either zpplcmr, pplr, or fplmr instead of cmr10.
Maybe a font expert can correct me if I'm wrong...

None works. And I have

$ locate mathpazo
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/public/mathpazo
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/public/mathpazo/fplmb.pfb
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/public/mathpazo/fplmbb.pfb
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/public/mathpazo/fplmbi.pfb
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/public/mathpazo/fplmr.pfb
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/public/mathpazo/fplmri.pfb
/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/mathpazo.sty
$

Paul

Maybe this is another misunderstanding: are you trying to do this in text mode or in an equation environment? Anyway, I just tried something with mathpazo that works in equations:

$$
\fontsize{4}{5}\selectfont\sin\alpha
$$

produces a super tiny sine of alpha.

Regarding my earlier solution, it works for me... to see what's wrong on your side one would need an example. But maybe this alternative solution is what you really want.

Jens

Correcting myself:
in a math equation, the font selection needs to be enclosed in an \mbox.
Here is a complete document that works as advertised. And it does NOT work properly if I comment out mathpazo!
Jens

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{mathpazo}
\begin{document}
With or without displaystyle:
$$
\mbox{\fontsize{4}{6}\selectfont $\sin\alpha\frac{1}{\frac{1}{3}}$}
$$
$$
\mbox{\fontsize{4}{5}\selectfont $\displaystyle\sin\alpha\frac{1} {\frac{1}{3}}$}
$$
$$
\mbox{\fontsize{2}{3}\selectfont $\displaystyle\sin\alpha\frac{1} {\frac{1}{3}}$}
$$
\tiny For comparison, this is typed in tiny.
\normalsize Back to normal
\fontsize{2}{3}\selectfont If you can read this, you're using the zoom function. Or you're not using mathpazo.

\end{document}