Bob Lounsbury wrote:

So, yesterday I booted into Ubuntu (I have a dual-boot) because I wanted to
update LyX there also. There was a distribution upgrade so I upgraded then
compiled 1.5.0svn/beta2 (not sure which it is if downloaded from svn). By
default it used Qt4.2.3 and now I have the LyX "slowness" under Linux.

What is this "slowness" you are talking about. AFAIK, there is no such slowness report under Linux. Please detail on the devel list (I randomly read the user list). Please note that you should build in "release" mode if you want to get the "normal speed". 'stdlib-debug' is known to have a strong performance penalty on systems using the gcc compiler.

This
leads me to believe that the issues are directly due to Qt4.2.3.

I don't think there are important performance issues related to Qt4.2.4 on Linux.

I'm
thinking of compiling an earlier version of Qt to see if the slowness goes
away since we can't get LyX to compile with Qt4.3.

I've heard that LyX compiles and run perfectly fine with Qt4.3 under Linux and Windows (did not try myself).

Abdel.