Wonderful Dave, except for users who don't have or don't want to have
or can't have Word installed in their computers. Tex2word and word2tex
only work within Word, so it's not really a good solution for most of
us.

As for myself, after years of using Word and hating the "bugs" that
change the document from computer to computer, I decided to give
LyX/LaTeX a try using my wife as the guinea pig. She was writing a
fairly large article with lots of references. I decided Word was not
the way to go, so I installed LyX/LaTeX on her Mac and after the usual
growing pains, everything went just smooth. So, I decided to use it
for my own work, with is mostly statistics and fuzzy logics articles.
I instantly fell in love with the formula typing method, and the
onscreen and pdf rendering.

Now my problem is that my tutor only uses Word. He doesn't want to
expend his time "learning" LyX, even thou there's really nothing to
learn (I'll do all the LaTeX job and he'll only do some writing). So,
our collaborative work has to be interchangeable. The format is not
really the problem, but the content, specially the formulas. So I've
been trying latex2rtf and the PDF comment capacity to ease our pain.

On 5/15/07, David A. Case <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, May 14, 2007, Steve Litt wrote:

> But hard as I rack my brains, I can't think of a reason to start a project in
> LyX, and THEN convert it to MS Word.

As others have said, one doesn't always know where a manuscript will end up
when you start writing.  Or you may be working with a collaborator who insists
on using Word.  And so on.

For what it is worth, I have had *much* better luck converting Latex to Word
using tex2word (http://www.chikrii.com/) than with latex2rtf, html conversion,
and so on.  Of course, this is neither free nor open-source, but (for me) the
time I save going this route is worth the expense.

...dave case

Julio Rojas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]