Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
I have a 180+ page book with many (probably over 500) character formattings.

I want to have styles defined for:

filenames
command names
command line options
configuration options
command output (I just use lyxcode for that)
command input
etc..

Currently I am just using stuff like typewriter, italics (or emphasis), bold, ... but whenever I want to try something different I will have to change hundreds of things. So I want to be able to identify something as a "filename" or "command" for example.

Any examples?
Look at the stdcharstyles.inc file, which you'll find in e.g. /usr/share/lyx/. You'll need to define yours in a similar way (or use this one), and then include the file in a custom layout file. This can be as simple as:
#% Do not delete the line below; configure depends on this
# \DeclareLaTeXClass[article.cls]{article (mine)}
Input article.cls
Input mycharstyles.inc
Put this in your user layout directory (e.g., /home/you/.lyx/layouts/), reconfigure LyX, choose it, and you're off.

Or why does Google have Playground indexed if it is a practice sandbox?
Because Google's search bots aren't yet perfect.

Richard

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto