Don't know how much known this is: Apple provides a wonderful easy to use profiling application for OSX, called Shark. You get it here for free (maybe you have to register for the ADC website, but it's free):

  http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/

Shark is part of the package "Computer Hardware Understanding Development (CHUD) Tools
version 4.4.4 (DMG)". You can see how it looks like here:

 http://developer.apple.com/tools/sharkoptimize.html

If you have performance problems, that's the tool to use to find out where the cpu cycles are spent. I guess you need a LyX binary with symbols inside, so unstripped.

Stefan