Uwe Stöhr schrieb:
Georg Brandl schrieb:

FYI, I now solved the problem.

I had even built an installer and it wouldn't run from a fresh install with
it.
The problem was that in the Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest file, there is a
line

 <noInheritable/>

which should be

 <noInherit/>

With that change, it runs fine.

This is no solution because this introduces other problems. This line is
correct and in all
versions of the Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest delivered with MSVC I know.

Oh, it seems I've confused the application and assembly manifest schemata.

I think the problem is that
the version number in the file doesn't fit to the DLLs listed in the manifest.
I therefore ship with
LyXWinInstaller this manifest file:

<!-- Copyright © 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation -->
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
     <noInheritable/>
     <assemblyIdentity
         type="win32"
         name="Microsoft.VC80.CRT"
         version="8.0.50608.0"
         processorArchitecture="x86"
         publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"
     />
     <file name="msvcr80.dll"/>
     <file name="msvcp80.dll"/>
     <file name="msvcm80.dll"/>
</assembly>

The version number is a bit older while the manifest in LyX's SVN is
version="8.0.50727.762"
So when you are using an older DLL version than this, it will fail. Ideally the
version of the DLLs
and the one in the manifest should be identic. I can do this for SVN, but
before I want to know if
it works when you install LyX using LyXWinInstaller and replace then

1. the lyx.exe with the version you have compiled. Does this work?
2. if 1. fails, replace the msv**80.dll in LyX's bin older with the ones
delivered in your MSVC
    installation. Please report me the results of this test.

OK, I'll do further investigation and report.

Thanks,
Georg