Rainer M. Krug wrote:
I just managed to reproduce it with a default new file and two references. I attache the bibtex file, the lyx file, the resulting pdf and the latex log

This is very strange and I don't have any ideas what could be the problem.

When BibTeX citations mysteriously fail, usually the first thing I look for is an indigestible .bib file, which seems to be the problem here. I compiled you doc using both LyX and export to LaTeX/manual compile, and both failed as they did for you. Then I poked around the .bib file.

This file was created with JabRef 2.2.
Encoding: ISO8859_1

@INPROCEEDINGS{Baard1997,
  author = {Baard, E.H.W.},
  title = {A conservation strategy for the geometric tortoise, Psammobates

I think that the character immediately after "tortoise," is causing BibTeX digestion problems. I deleted it, save the .bib file, then deleted and reapplied the references in the LyX document, and it then compiled correctly.

I'm no expert on encodings, but if that character is a legitimate character in ISO8859_1, there's still the question of whether that's what BibTeX is using. The LyX document seems to be set for "default" encoding (for British). I don't know enough about BibTeX to know if it reads the encoding from the .bib file, from the .aux file (which presumably matches the source document), or whether it just uses 'latin1' regardless.

/Paul