Dominik Waßenhoven wrote:
Rainer M. Krug schrieb am 21.06.2007:

I am sruggling understanding the encoding and if LaTeX / LyX use the same as BibTeX and which one I should use when and in a BibTex file, where I have different names from different countries with strange symbols, which would be the best encoding to choose?

Can somebody shed some light on this issue or refer me to a website which clarifies these issues?

BibTeX does not support UTF-8 encoding at all, see e.g.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/msg/8aefd925c735c842
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/msg/dadb7d2a89166e42
http://groups.google.com/group/de.comp.text.tex/msg/1293749bb77ae20d

Thanks for the links - so in BibTex, I have to use \"{u} which I actually prefer as it makes it universal.

But what is the encoding issue in LaTeX? Is it the same issue?

Also - is there an easy way to identify these "characters" in a bibtex file? When I import from into JabRef, I sometimes get these strange characters which "corrupt" the BibTeX file for usage with LaTeX and my databases are quite large...

Rainer

(the last one is in German)

Regards,
Dominik.-