Rainer M. Krug wrote:
Thanks for the links - so in BibTex, I have to use \"{u} which I actually prefer as it makes it universal.
Yes, you should use in BibTeX whatever you would use in LaTeX.
Also - is there an easy way to identify these "characters" in a bibtex file? When I import from into JabRef, I sometimes get these strange characters which "corrupt" the BibTeX file for usage with LaTeX and my databases are quite large...
Check your encoding settings in JabRef. These are under the General tab of the Preferences dialog.

Richard

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto