Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
Some fractions are available, like
? to ? cup parmesan cheese

(for those who don't have this character, it says "1/2 to 3/4 cup"

Anyways some characters don't appear to be available (even though I found some entities for them), so I am using ERT for example:

$\frac{1}{3}$

How can I get those displayed as characters in lyx so it is convenient for my wife to read her book in lyx while she works on it?

Reading the ERT for me is fine.

As Alexander said, the best bet may be to use instant preview (assuming that the characters only appear in math insets).

The following alternative works on Windows and should (I think) work on Linux, give or take the details.

I use Times New Roman for the main (Roman) screen font. To write 1/4, for instance, as a single character in plain text, I can either find it in the Windows character map applet and paste it into LyX, or I can type the keyboard scan code for it (in this case, Alt+0188 -- which I learned from the character map). You can probably map the command "self-insert 1/4" (replacing 1/4 with the character) to a key combination in your bind file if you are so inclined.

All told (and multiplied by however many special characters you need), this may be more work than it's worth.

/Paul