Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
Some fractions are available, like
� to � cup parmesan cheese

(for those who don't have this character, it says "1/2 to 3/4 cup"

Anyways some characters don't appear to be available (even though I found some entities for them), so I am using ERT for example:

$\frac{1}{3}$

How can I get those displayed as characters in lyx so it is convenient for my wife to read her book in lyx while she works on it?
You don't need to use ERT for this - as LyX supports fractions.
Use math mode for writing them, LyX will then show
something like:
1
-
3

on screen. For older versions of LyX, "Insert->Math->Math Panel"
There you'll find a fraction button that insert a fraction in the document.
Then you fill out the fraction with whatever numbers you need. This
means you can even write "2/9" or "5/13" for which no single symbol exists.

It is easier & better with the recent lyx-1.5:
Use the "view" menu and enable the math toolbar.
There you'll see a fraction button, easily available. And it
offers several styles of fractions - both the style
I showed above (with a horizontal bar) and
the prettier "1/3" with a slanted bar.
Either kind of fraction will show up correctly on the screen,
so your wife who don't enjoy latex syntax can read easily.

ERT boxes with $\frac{1}{3}$ can be converted to
LyX native format this way:
1. position the cursor at the leftmost position in the ERT box,
   and press backspace. Note that the ERT disappear, and
   $\frac{1}{3}$ becomes "normal text".
2. Mark the "$\frac{1}{3}$ part, then press ctrl+m It is now converted to lyx-native math, which is easy to read.

If you print this, the latex generated will be the same, it is
only the in-LyX presentation that improves.

Helge Hafting