On 8/15/07, Steven Truong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I downloaded both installers and after enough uninstallation of one
> version and trying another version, I am about to give up.
>
> I also followed this discussion in
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg58077.html
>
> and run this
>
> c:\program files\lyx15\resources> ..\python\python.exe configure.py
>
> After executing this command, a small window popped up and said "the
> required file blah blah blah is missing ...", I then clicked OK to
> install the missing pieces.  After that, the whole thing hung or
> refused to continue and the last thing I could see on the terminal
> was:
>
> +  checking for ec support in Latex format ... yes
>
> I had waited for roughly 1/2 hour on a laptop 1.8 GHz with 512 MB of
> RAM (currently firefox is running with 2 tabs).
>
> This same problems also happened on my other 2 PCs (very new and even
> dual core), so I do not think my computers are slow or anything.
>
> Please help because this is really frustrating.
> Thank you.

I had a similar issue. After installing the latest 1.5.1 with the
standard installer I clicked to run the program and nothing happened.
I waited a few minutes and still nothing happened. I looked in the
task manager processes and saw that lyx.exe was running. I then
decided to restart the machine and when I hit Start->Shut Down then
the program opened up. Strange?

Anyways, rebooting XP is always a good thing. Especially if you're
trying to install, uninstall, install, uninstall. If you want to
uninstall and reinstall properly you would uninstall all LyX related
programs, turn the computer off (not restart), wait 10 seconds then
turn the computer on and install LyX. Then it would still be a good
idea to turn the computer off, wait 10 seconds, and then turn it on
and see if LyX is working.

Good Luck,
Bob