Dave Hewitt wrote:
Many thanks to Paul Rubin for his recent help on document classes. But, as he probably suspected, my dilemna continues (me and the wolverine are both a bit worse for wear, but we'll live) and now I think it rises to a new level...

There's many wonderful document classes out there, and new users are probably interested in trying them out in LyX, but the layout file is (as described) difficult to deal with. I spent an hour or so messing with NRC's classes and a couple others (using Paul's suggestions and the Customization Ch. 5), all to no avail. LyX fails to convert files with just a single line of text into any of the three I tried (from article).
Post the layout file or files. What kinds of error messages are you getting?
So, my question is: is there a repository somewhere of layout files that people have created to work with the various document classes?
Other than /usr/share/lyx/layouts/? Seriously, I think there are some on the wiki somewhere, but this remains one of the biggest issues with LyX. Some kind of layout editor would be really nice to have, and I think some of Helge's students started one in Java. And some of us have thought about it from time to time. It really wouldn't be that hard, if you know some C++. I'd do it, but I have other targets at the moment (not to mention a dayjob).

Richard

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto