Word-to-LaTex will give you a LaTeX file that you
might then able to import to LyX
http://kebrt.webz.cz/programs/word-to-latex/index.html
. I suspect the results will be VERY ugly.

Actually OOo is usually fine.  It's Word's practice of
mangling styles that seems to mess it up.  :)

--- Steve Litt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My 1999 classic, "Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of
> the Successful
> Technologist" was written in MS Word. It was a
> styles based document. Now I
> want to make a second edition.
>
> I tried to work on it in OpenOffice, but OpenOffice
> is terrible.
>
> Is there a way to transfer an MS Word document to
> LyX, preserving the
> paragraph and character styles in the document? I
> don't care how messed up it
> looks after transfer -- I can tweak the layout file
> to suit my needs, but I'd
> prefer not to lose styles.
>
> Anyone know how to do that?
>
> Thanks
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and
> courseware
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/

      Get news delivered with the All new Yahoo! Mail.  Enjoy RSS feeds right
on your Mail page. Start today at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca