On Tuesday 04 September 2007 12:45, John Kane wrote:
> Word-to-LaTex will give you a LaTeX file that you
> might then able to import to LyX
> http://kebrt.webz.cz/programs/word-to-latex/index.html
> . I suspect the results will be VERY ugly.

This looks like what I need. No matter how ugly the output, I can massage it
back into health. If it doesn't convert from LaTeX to LyX, I can convert word
to XML instead, parse the XML and convert it to LyX. The documentation says
it preserves both paragraph and character styles, and allows you to specify
placeholder names for equivalent environments, which I can later code.

> Actually OOo is usually fine.  It's Word's practice of
> mangling styles that seems to mess it up.  :)

Even on brand new OO files, styles are extremely problematic. If OO were the
last content authoring system on earth, I'd be tempted to go back to pen and
paper.

So thank you all for creating LyX!

SteveT