Unknown wrote:
Hi Lyx-Users, When I try to read the Lyx file sent to me by a writer
with whom I'm collaborating on a book, the message I'm getting is
"/tmp/song of the survivors.lyx is from an earlier version of Lyx, but
the lyx2lyx script failed to convert it". Any solution? I'm on Lyx
1.4.3 FN

The lyx2lyx script (which updates a LyX file to the latest format) usually works pretty well, but I think that occasionally something odd in the file will trip it up. I suggest you look for non-Latin characters first. Other than that, you can try divide-and-conquer. Delete roughly the second half from a copy of the document (keeping the \end_body \end_document lines and making sure you don't cut in the middle of a layout or inset). If lyx2lyx manages to convert the resulting file, the problem is in the second half; if not, it's in the first half. Continue bisecting until you narrow down where the culprit lies.

Convincing your co-author to upgrade will minimize the likelihood of future issues. It won't directly solve the problem of getting this particular document converted. If your co-author upgrades, though, he can open the document in his older version and cut/paste everything into the new version.

/Paul

  • Fo... Frederick [FN] Noronha * फ्रेडरिक नोरोंया
    • ... John Kane
    • ... Paul A. Rubin
    • ... Paul A . Rubin
      • ... Robert Orr