I think I understand now. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that LyX uses the
convert program to convert the .svg. If I use convert to convert from .svg
to .pdf, the .pdf has the same problem with the text. However, when I convert
using Inkscape:

inkscape --export-pdf=myfile.pdf myfile.svg

the PDF looks just like the .svg, and imports perfectly into LyX.

So is there a way to configure LyX to use inkscape to interpret .svg files
instead of convert?

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Books written in LyX:
        Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
        Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
        Troubleshooting: Just the Facts