Steve Litt wrote:

When I do Tools->converters or Tools->fileformats, the add and modify are grayed out. This is true even when I run it as root. I'm not too sure how to add a filetype and converter for SVG, given the buttons are grayed out.

It's not entirely intuitive, but select an arbitrary entry in either list and start changing it (overtype text inputs, switch list inputs, ...). Either Add or Modify will become active, depending on whether LyX senses you are creating a new format or converter or modifying one.

/Paul