Hello Richard and all Lyx users,

Richard Heck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Does anybody know what's going wrong here ?
> No, I'm not sure. I haven't seen this problem before. But if
> latexdoc.tex exists, then latex should simply compile it when invoked in
> that way. So it sounds as if there's a problem there on your system.

My sytems might as well be broken; as they are both Slackware (11 and 10 ;-).
In both cases trying to make a dvi whenever the file contains a Tex import
 freezes Lyx, although the dvi might get done in some case.

man sh (bash in fact) says
  -c string If the -c option is present, then commands are read from string.
  If there are  arguments  after  the string, they are assigned to the
  positional parameters, starting with $0.

As far as I know, $0 is the name of the program itself (more accurately the
 name the program knows itself by). According to that, typing
 sh -c latex file.tex can only result in a mess.

Conversely, sh -c "latex file.tex" runs, as the command is search inside
the string itself.

On a Mandriva, sh  behaves the same way :
 sh -c "find -name toto"
runs a quite different way from this
 sh -c "find -name toto"

So what about me posting this on the developper list ?

Best regards
--
Hervé