Hi all! Sorry for the dumb question, but here goes...

My installation of LyX says it doesn't know how to write PDF files - what do
I need to do?

I'm new to using a Mac, so this may also be my unfamiliarity with OS X. I've
downloaded and installed MacTeX, Python, and LyX. (As I understand it,
MacTeX includes ImageMagic and ghostscript; just to be sure, I used
i-installer to reinstall those packages and still have the same problem.)
LyX runs fine, but it can't produce output in any format that's useful for
me: not PDF, not PS. I also have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed; do I need
some other PDF software? Do I just need to tell LyX how to send the file to
a PDF handler?

I have encountered this problem in two relatively distinct situations:

First, when I try to create any LyX document and preview it or export it to
PDF, it tells me: "No information for exporting the format PDF (pdflatex)"

Second, before I realized I had this problem, I created a "scratch" file for
purposes of testing LyX and its integration with BibDesk and saved it. Now
when I open that file, it gives me the following error message:

"The layout file requested by this document, article.layout, is not usable.
This is probably because a LaTeX class or style file required by it is not
available. See the Customization documentation for more information. LyX
will not be able to produce output."

I suspect that "article.layout" is something that should have been included
in the bibliography file that I tried to include in this scratch document.
If that's the case, this part of the problem can wait; if I can get some
kind of meaningful output from LyX I'll settle arguments between LyX and
BibDesk later.

Thank you!
Faith Anne Scott