Thank you! I did that, and it now appropriately handles the 'scratch' file
that I created. It gives me a different error when I try to get output, too:
a dialog box comes up with the heading "LyX: latex Errors (document path in
parens)" and inside the box it says "Undefined control sequence."

Faith Anne